It’s Mental Health Awareness Month! We are sharing photos in social media of #everydaymentalhealth activities we can do to enhance our mental health.
Exercise. Running, walking or other types of exercise or physical activity release chemicals in your brain that make you feel good. One of those chemicals are endorphins. Endorphins are natural painkillers, which it helps battle physical and emotional pain and symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other mental health challenges. Endorphins also provide a feeling of increased energy. Regular exercise of your choice have the impact of reducing stress, improving sleep, and boosting self-esteem.
How can I build in exercise in the day?
- If you are a beginner in doing exercise, start out small. Set realistic expectations based on where you are at
- Once you work your way up to at least 30 minutes, set aside some time during the day for your physical activity of choice
- Ditch the bus, metro/train and walk to work and school if you are able to or get off a few stops before your original stop and walk the rest
- Team up with an exercise buddy. Joining a friend, partner, child or someone else can make exercise more enjoyable
- Make exercise a part of your survival. Just like you eat, breathe, sleep, think of exercise as essential to your life
- Exercise outdoors. When you exercise outdoors you get extra benefits of the soothing that comes from being in nature
Join us in social media this May as we share #everydaymentalhealth photos of activities that enhance our mental health. Share your own photo of an every day activity that promotes wellness and we will enter you on an online raffle to receive a self-care kit with products curated by us.